The Locker Project, in partnership with the Good Shepherd Food Bank, helps ensure food security for children across Greater Portland. The Locker Project works with school staff and dozens of volunteers to provide students with healthy class-time snacks, staples and fresh foods to take home for the times they are most likely to experience hunger.
We distribute fresh food donated by local supermarkets, grocers, bakeries, and farms at school events. We share community gardeners’ harvests with students and families in need. We collaborate with other like-minded groups to bring nutrition education and healthy food preparation tips to kids and families. We stock school pantries with staples collected through food drives and purchased in bulk.
We partner with South Portland Food Cupboard, the Portland and Westbrook-Gorham Rotary Clubs, Westbrook-Gorham Kiwanis Club, Cultivating Community, Cumberland County Food Security Council, the City of Portland, the Portland Public Schools Food Security Task Force, and many other groups to assist schools in getting healthy food to hungry children. Special thanks to Wayside Food Programs for their continued support.
- Bayside Learning Community, Portland
- Boys & Girls Club, South Portland
- Brown Elementary School, South Portland
- Center for Grieving Children, Portland
- Deering High School, Portland
- East End Community School, Portland
- Head Start, Portland
- Kaler Elementary School, South Portland
- King Middle School, Portland
- Lincoln Middle School, Portland
- Lyman-Moore Middle School, Portland
- Lyseth Elementary School, Portland
- Margaret Murphy Center for Children, Saco
- Memorial Middle School, South Portland
- Ocean Avenue School, Portland
- Presumpscot Elementary School, Portland
- Reiche Elementary School, Portland
- Riverton Elementary School, Portland
- Rowe Elementary School, Portland (former Hall Elementary)
- Skillin Elementary School, South Portland
- South Portland High School
- Southern Maine Children’s Academy, Portland
- Westbrook High School
- Westbrook Middle School
If you are interested in learning more about how your school can partner with the Locker Project to bring food to children in need, contact us today!
Want to volunteer for the Locker Project? Click here to get started!